Thursday, November 3, 2011

Walking down memory lane

I was lucky enough to have a Great Grandmother alive growing up. She passed away at 99 years old and lived a full and happy life. I don't remember too much about her and I was talking to my mom about memories of her and all I could come up with was the one time she called me pudgy and I just remember thinking that's okay, she weighs like 80 pounds, she can say whatever she wants to me. But talking to my mom brought up another memory of her. And while I will always remember her as a flirt and always grabbing every guys butt, I will remember her for saying the F word.

We were all in a car together (My mom, Grandma, Granny and I think my Aunt Charlotte and Aunt Chris) and everyone was trying to force her into my van (she had to have been in her 90s by that point) and she was just getting so frustrated. I'm standing outside the van just thinking to myself "just let her do it herself, if she falls then it's her fault!" and she must have been thinking the same thing because before I knew it she yelled out "I can do this my F'ing self!" I remember stopping dead in my tracks and looking at my mom, with my jaw dropped, thinking this can not be real. My great grandmother did not just say the F word!

But she had. And I burst out laughing. I still couldn't believe it, but yet it was the funniest thing ever to me. I had to call my sisters and tell them. I don't know if they thought it was as funny as I did, but remembering that story did bring tears to my eyes thinking back to how funny it was.

I wish I had more memories, but frankly I have the worst memory ever lately. But I know if I were to live 99 years I would hope that it was a full and active as her life was. I always thought it was cool to say I had a Great Grandmother still alive and I wish she would have made it to 100 years, but we were all blessed to have known her.

I know she is up there with her family that has passed before her and she was greeted with joy and happiness at her returning home. And I'm sure she's still grabbing all the guys butts. It's nice knowing I have someone else up there watching out for me. And knowing that whenever it is my time to go, I will be greeted by her (even if she calls me pudgy!) makes this all a little easier.

1 comment:

Heather and Thomas Mann said...

I am sorry for your loss. what a funny memory! I don't think too many people could share a memory like that about their great grandma ;)